Monday, December 28, 2009

Reset password for Remote Desktop Connection

Newer versions of Remote Desktop don’t save the password in the .rdp file anymore. I don’t know where it is stored. If anyone knows, please let me know.

I have a bunch of .rdp files that I want to not prompt me for a password, but instead just open the Remote Desktop session. The problem is that when my password changes in Active Directory, where ever my password is saved for these .rdp files, it is not updated automatically. This means that when I open the .rdp file it says the remote server says I have not entered the correct password, check my username, domain, etc.

The workaround to this is to just wait for the alert to pop up, click ok, and then type in my new password. The problem is that it does not remember the new password.

The easiest solution I have found is to do the following.

  1. Select all your .rdp files in Windows Explorer.
  2. Right-click on of them and choose Edit. This will open the edit window for each of these .rdp files.
  3. For each window click the edit link as shown below.

    image
  4. You will be prompted to enter your username and password. Be sure the username has the domain\username as the username if you are using Active Directory username. Otherwise, the local login on that server will be assumed.
  5. Click Cancel. No need to Save unless you change other values on the window shown above.
     

While it is not automated, it should only take about 5 seconds per .rdp file once they are all open which should not take long either. This assumes you can type your password really faster or better yet, open up notepad type your password, copy it, and then instead of typing your password for each .rdp file, you can just paste it. This will reduce your errors and make your life easier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new RDP client saves your password in the "Credential Manager". In Windows 7 it is located under Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Manage Your Credentials

Brent V said...

This is a much better design. I am so glad they changed that. Thank you for pointing out where the new credentials are kept!